Benjamin Cartwright (c.1889-1916)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- CARTWRIGHT, BEN. Private. No 202166. 1/4th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers. Born Wooldale, Holmfirth. Son of Walker and Grace Cartwright, of Cliffe, Holmfirth. Educated at Holmfirth National School and was also connected with Cliffe Sunday School. Employed by Messrs John Woodhead, of Thongsbridge. Enlisted May 1916. Trained at Hornsea for ten weeks. Embarked for France July, 1916. Reported missing, presumed killed, 15.11.1916, aged 27 years. Buried WARLENCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 8, Row C, Grave 30.
- ROH:- Wooldale War Memorial.
- Brother of Private JAMES WILLIAM CARTWRIGHT, reported missing, 23.9.1917.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private CARTWRIGHT
- regiment: Northumberland Fusiliers
- died: Wednesday, November 15, 1916
- record ID: 240962
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #240962)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #738858)