Beaumonts Arms, Kirkheaton
- location: Church Lane, Kirkheaton
- status: still exists
- category: public house, beerhouse, inn, etc.
- 1911 — farmer & innkeeper Thomas Benson (aged 33)
Discovering Old Huddersfield
Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
The Beaumont Arms, still known locally by the old name Kirk Stile, once had a close association with the nearby church. In the days when parishes were large such church houses offered hospitality to parishioners who lived at a distance from the church and, no doubt, the provision of liquid refreshment soon became an important part of that hospitality. The Kirk Stile was also used by the churchwardens for their meetings during which, it was said, they consumed liquor at the parish expense, a practice for which they were repeatedly censured by the Vestry Meetings. Slowly, the attitude of the church towards its church house hardened and by 1846 church officials were describing it as a public nuisance and a harbor for the idle, the mischievous and the dissolute and in that year the sale of the building was authorised. It was, perhaps, at this time that the Kirk Stile became the Beaumont Arms. For many years the inn was the centre of the social life of the village. Local societies met there. Estate dinners and election meetings were held there and, in the field behind the inn, Kirkheaton's annual fair the "Yetton Rant" continues to be held every Spring Bank Holiday. The inn also played a more sober part in village affairs in that it was used as a court house by local magistrates and its cellars served as a prison. Another connection between church and church house is to be found in the corner of the graveyard nearest to the inn, where two former landlords lie buried in the shadow of the place where they lived and worked.