Beaumont Park Bandstand
The first wooden bandstand in Beaumont Park was constructed in 1882/3 but was later demolished around 50 years later.
A new bandstand was erected in 2011
The Beaumont Park Committee meeting of 29 September 1882 reported that they had accepted the tender of Messrs. R. Whiteley and Nephew to construct the bandstand at a cost of £139. This was Robert Whiteley (1814-1885) of West Hill, Huddersfield, named as a master builder and joiner employing 37 men and 29 boys in the 1881 Census.
The other tenders accepted were W. Goodwin and Sons, for the slate roof, and T. Longbottom and Sons, for concreting the bandstand's base.
At the next Town Council meeting, the following exchange took place during the reading of the Park Committee minutes:
- Councillor W. Schofield: What is the grandstand for? It says that the tender be accepted for a grandstand. What is it for?
Alderman H. Brooke: To watch the harriers across the valley. (laughter)
Schofield: I am ignorant myself of what it is for.
Councillor Chrispin: (somewhat late with the observation) What? (renewed laughter)
Alderman R. Hirst: To watch the carriers across the valley.
Brooke: The harriers, harriers! (more laughter)
The Mayor: (to Schofield) Are you satisfied? If not, the chairman of the Beaumont Park Committee will reply.
Town Clerk Mr. Batley: The minutes say "bandstand", not "grandstand". (great laughter)
Schofield: Oh, I beg your pardon!
The bandstand was completed in time for it to be inspected by the Committee on 3 September 1883, in advance of of the official opening ceremony the following month.
The Borough accounts for the year ending 31 August 1883 reported the following costs for the building of the bandstand:
- £135 0s. 0d. — R. Whiteley (joiner)
- £28 0s. 0d. — W. Goodwin & Sons (roofer)
- £7 19s. 0d. — T. Longbottom & Sons (concreting)
In July 1884, the Committee authorised the purchase of music stands for the bandstand.
Complaints about the acoustics of the bandstand — the original simple pitched roof tended to bounce music back into the bandstand — soon led to the roof being adapted with the addition of a raised upper section.
Bands were regularly booked for the summer months, typically with a weekly evening performance between 7pm and 9pm. The bands were allowed to raise money by selling programmes and by taking a collection.
In August 1885, the Chronicle reported that the "concerts in Beaumont Park have been discontinued [for 1885] in consequence of the lack of interest taken in them by the public, as shown by the smallness of the subscriptions received by the several bands who have played there."
The following is a partial list of performances, as reported in the local newspapers:
|30/May/1882||Wyke Temperance Band||Band of Hope Demonstation in Huddersfield.|
|19/Jul/1883||Lindley Brass Band||Concerts in aid of the Huddersfield Infirmary.|
|07/Aug/1884||Messrs. Wood and Marshall's Brass Band|
|14/Aug/1884||Linthwaite Brass Band||Cancelled due to leader of the band (George Reine) being ill. Attempts to get a replacement band failed.|
|13/Sep/1884||Huddersfield Temperance Brass Band||Christian Church Temperance Band of Hop meeting.|
|08/Jun/1885||Linthwaite Brass Band|
|25/Jun/1885||Honley Brass Band|
|02/Jul/1885||Moldgreen United Brass Band|
|04/Jul/1885||Wakefield Military Band|
|09/Jul/1885||Fire Brigade Brass Band|
|16/Jul/1885||Huddersfield Temperance Brass Band|
|14/Jul/1886||Linthwaite Brass Band||Cancelled.|
|03/Aug/1891||Linthwaite Brass Band||August Bank Holiday.|
|29/May/1893||Huddersfield Military Band|
|26/Jun/1893||Berry Brow Band|
|06/Jul/1893||Huddersfield Military Band||Celebrations for the wedding of Prince George, Duke of York, to Princess Mary of Teck.|
|24/Jul/1893||Honley Brass Band|
|06/Aug/1894||Honley Brass Band||August Bank Holiday.|
|05/Aug/1895||Honley Brass Band||August Bank Holiday.|
|24/May/1899||Post Office Military Band||Queen Victoria's 80th birthday celebrations.|
|29/Jul/1899||Linthwaite Brass Band|
|07/Aug/1899||Post Office Military Band||August Bank Holiday.|
|04/Sep/1900||Linthwaite Brass Band|
|06/May/1935||unnamed band||King George V's Silver Jubilee celebrations.|
It is believed that the bandstand structure was demolished in the 1930s, leaving only the base. This was later covered with earth and turned into a raised flower bed.
In May 2000, the Friends of Beaumont Park cleared the soil to expose the base. To celebrate the rediscovery of the long-lost bandstand, a Gala Day was held on 3 September 2000 with Pennine Brass performing a new composition by Sandy Smith titled "Albany Fanfare".
The base was then used for a number of musical events, which led the Friends of Beaumont Park to seek funding to erect a new bandstand. Lost Art of Wigan were commissioned a design a new bandstand with the brief to incorporation elements of the original design. 
The formal opening ceremony took place on 5 June 2011 with performances by the Lindley Brass Band, who were possibly the first band to have performed in the original bandstand, and St. Barnabus Choir. Councillor Eric Firth, the Mayor of Kirklees, cut the ribbon to declare the new bandstand open.
- Friends of Beaumont Park: The Restored Bandstand
- Kirklees Council Planning Applications (reference: 2009/48/93367/W1) — planning application for the new bandstand, submitted December 2009 and approved 9 February 2010
Notes and References
- ↑ As reported in the Leeds Mercury (19/Oct/1882). The Huddersfield Chronicle (21/Oct/1882) reported a shorter version of the exchange.
- ↑ This is presumably a reference to the Huddersfield Harriers, a hunts club.
- ↑ "Music in the Parks" in Huddersfield Chronicle (08/Aug/1885).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Information boards in Beaumont Park.
- ↑ Planning permission was granted on 9 February 2010.
- ↑ See http://www.lost-art.co.uk/ and http://demo.32bytes.com/lostart/beta/beaumont.html
- ↑ The Lindley Brass Band performed in the park on 19 July 1883, by which point the bandstand would have been near to, if not fully, completed.
- ↑ Friends of Beaumont Park: The Restored Bandstand