Barnsley and Shepley Lane Head Turnpike Road

UNDER CONSTRUCTION!
This page is currently under construction and isn't complete yet!

The Barnsley & Shepley Lane Head Turnpike road was constructed circa 1825, and was sometimes initially referred to as the Shepley & Cawthorne Turnpike as it joined an existing turnpike road to Barnsley near Cawthorne.

The route was surveyed by Thomas Thomas Dinsley of Huddersfield in 1823.

The route ran east from the Royal Sovereign Inn at Shepley Land Head along the Barnsley Road (now A635) and passed through:

The Barnsley & Shepley Lane Head Turnpike Trust was wound up on 1 August 1875.[1]

Route

Notes and References

  1. Public notice in Barnsley Chronicle (05/Jun/1875).

Barnsley and Shepley Lane Head Turnpike Road

Categories

Pages under construction | Streets and roads | Turnpike roads
This page was last modified on 18 August 2018 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed