Barnsley and Shepley Lane Head Turnpike Road
The Barnsley & Shepley Lane Head Turnpike road was constructed circa 1825, and was sometimes initially referred to as the Shepley & Cawthorne Turnpike as it joined an existing turnpike road to Barnsley near Cawthorne.
The route was surveyed by Thomas Dinsley of Huddersfield in 1823.
- Upper Cumberworth
- Cumberworth Toll Point, Upper Cumberworth
- Hartcliff Junction Toll Point, Denby Dale
- under the southern part of Denby Dale Viaduct
- Nether End
- Dog Kennel Toll Point
- Cawthorne and Chain Toll Point — this is now bypassed by the modern A635
- Barnby Toll Point
- Chain Toll Point
- Red Brook Toll Point where the road joined with the Barnsley & Grange Moor Trust Turnpike for the final section into Barnsley
The Barnsley & Shepley Lane Head Turnpike Trust was wound up on 1 August 1875.
Notes and References
- Public notice in Barnsley Chronicle (05/Jun/1875).