Barnsley and Shepley Lane Head Turnpike Road
The Barnsley & Shepley Lane Head Turnpike road was constructed circa 1825, and was sometimes initially referred to as the Shepley & Cawthorne Turnpike as it joined an existing turnpike road to Barnsley near Cawthorne.
The route was surveyed by Thomas Dinsley of Huddersfield in 1823.
The road ran east from the Royal Sovereign Inn at Shepley Land Head along the Barnsley Road (now A635) and passed through:
- Upper Cumberworth
- Cumberworth Toll Point, Upper Cumberworth
- Hartcliff Junction Toll Point, Denby Dale
- under the southern part of Denby Dale Viaduct
- Nether End
- Dog Kennel Toll Point
- Cawthorne and Chain Toll Point — this is now bypassed by the modern A635
- Barnby Toll Point
- Chain Toll Point
- Red Brook Toll Point where the road joined with the Barnsley & Grange Moor Trust Turnpike for the final section into Barnsley
The Barnsley & Shepley Lane Head Turnpike Trust was wound up on 1 August 1875.
Notes and References
- ↑ Public notice in Barnsley Chronicle (05/Jun/1875).