The Baptists of Yorkshire (1912) by Rev. C.E. Shipley:
The Scapegoat Hill Church began its independent history in 1871, but was the result of efforts made at a much earlier date. Meetings had been regularly held in houses on the Hill, the Rev. H.W. Holmes, pastor of Pole Moor, giving much assistance to the work. In 1850, a spacious school-house was built, which was enlarged in 1863, and in 1871 was converted into a chapel. On August 9th, 1871, a Church was constituted of twenty-eight members — twenty-one from Pole Moor, four from Golcar, and three from Salendine Nook — to whom nineteen were added by baptism during the first year. In 1874, a new day and Sunday school was opened, and Rev. D. Lewis became the first pastor, staying with the Church for three and a half years. He was succeeded by Rev. A. Harrison (1879-87), and a manse was built in 1880. The Rev. T.R. Lewis commenced, in August, 1889, a pastorate of eight years in which the Church received much blessing. After him came Rev. S.J. Robins for a brief period of eighteen months, during which time the building of a new chapel was commenced, the premises being opened on March 29th, 1900. Rev. B. Williams settled here in 1901, and during the Welsh revival of 1905, Scapegoat Hill experienced a great spiritual awakening. Mr. Williams having left in 1906, the present pastor, Rev. H.R. Jenkins, began his ministry in October, 1906. Of its six pastors, five have been Welshmen, and during its history the Church has raised about £7000 for building purposes, and received 430 members into its fellowship.