The Bank Buildings are a row of listed properties situated below Mill Bank Road, Meltham.
The land used was most likely the 17 lots "of most eligible freehold building-land" on the south side of Mill Bank Road which was auctioned on 6 July 1853 at the Rose and Crown Inn, Meltham. The advertisement for the auction noted that the land "cannot fail to provide a safe investment to the small capitalist" and it is assumed that the Brook family were the purchasers.
An unnamed Irish labourer employed in the building of the properties sustained serious injuries after falling 11 yards from the top of one of the buildings in August 1857. The building work was completed the following year, by which time work on the Pleasure Grounds below Mill Bank Road had begun.
MILL BANK ROAD (Meltham). Bank Buildings Nos. 1-34 inclusive. A large terrace of 34 dwellings Nos. 1-22 to the rear, and Nos. 23-34 to the front as underdwellings,with Tudor detailing. Circa 1860 for Charles Brook (Jun.). Hammer dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Pitched slate roof with gable copings and stone stacks. Three storeys and attic to front, two storeys and attic to rear. Symmetrical composition with gables to the centre, ends and at intermediate points with gabled dormers between. Entrances are arched, ground, second floor and attic windows are 2-light, first floor windows are 3-light some with transoms, all chamfered. Many mullions have been removed. The central bay breaks forward and is gabled, with arched entrance to each side and four storey ashlar canted bay with arched lights. Large plaque with raised gothic letters reads: "Bank Buildings". Rear elevation is similar with 2-light windows to ground floor and attic, and 3-light windows to first floor detailed as before. The central bay breaks forward with first and second floor canted oriel bay with arched lights.