The following section is reproduced from Baines' Directory: History, Directory and Gazetteer of the County of York, Volume 1 (1822) compiled by Edward Baines.
For the transcription of professions, entries have been reformatted to: firstname surname, location (extra details)
The following is a transcription of a historic document and may contain occasional errors.
Whitney (Lower) in the parish Thornhill, wap. of Agbrigg, and honour of Pontefract ; 9½ miles E. of Huddersfield. Population 903.
- Francis Bedford, victualler, Wool Packs
- John Rhodes, yeoman
- Thomas Walker, tanner
- John Firth
- Samuel Robinson
- Hudwell & Co.
- Parkin & Co.
Whitley (Upper) in the parish of Kirk Heaton, wap. of Agbrigg, and honour of Pontefract ; 5½ miles ENE of Huddersfield. Population 764.
- Sir John Lister Kaye, Denby Grange
- William Rayner, land agent, Whitley Hall
- John Bedford, tanner
- William Hutchinson, gentleman
- James Ibberson, victualler, Fox & Hounds
- John Ness, victualler, Kay's Arms, Grange Ash
- Samuel Stocks, grocer & flour dealer
- Thomas Oxley
- Joseph Parker
- Joseph Stocks
- William Timmings
- John Wild