The following section is reproduced from Baines' Directory: History, Directory and Gazetteer of the County of York, Volume 1 (1822) compiled by Edward Baines.
For the transcription of professions, entries have been reformatted to: firstname surname, location (extra details)
Kirkheaton, (P.) in the wap. of Agbrigg, and honour of Pontefract ; 2 miles NE. of Huddersfield. The first race of mesne lords who appear in this place, bore the name of de Heton, but the manor has long been in the Beaumont family, whose mansion is Whitley Hall, and whose burying place, as the numerous monuments erected to their memory show, is Kirkheaton church. In the church yard a handsome monumental column is erected, to commemorate the premature fate of 17 poor children, interred in one grave at this place, and who fell victims to a dreadful fire, in the factory of Mr. Thomas Atkinson, at Coln Bridge, on the 17th of February, 1818. A yew tree which has survived eighteen generations of men, and which is of the extraordinary dimensions of 20 foot 9 inches in circumference, above the grains stands in the church yard. The living is a rectory, of which the Rev. John Smitheon, A. M. of Headingley, is the incumbent Population 2186.