B. Vickerman and Sons, Limited
The textile firm of B. Vickerman & Sons Ltd. was established by Benjamin Vickerman.
Partial records from the firm are held by West Yorkshire Archive Service (reference: KC38).
The History of Lockwood and North Crosland (1980) by Brian Clarke:
Although this firm at Taylor Hill closed down many years ago it is mentioned here as the earliest firm in the area. Vickermans had offices in the old Cloth Hall.in Huddersfield as long ago as 1768 and, although the original mill was at Honley, the Taylor Hill mill was in operation by 1812. The name of this firm appears in connection with the Luddite riots in the early part of the 19th century, an attack being made upon the mill and a pistol shot narrowly missing Mr. Benjamin Vickerman, who was sitting near the window of his house, which was within the mill yard. An interesting order was received by Vickermans in 1870 when the Duke of Cambridge commissioned a material of which the warp was conventional worsted but the weft was Cork. The purpose of the material was to make life-saving suits for seamen. In due course the material was ready and to test it a suit was made to fit Arthur Vickerman Priestley, later to become Managing Director, but then a little boy. Young Arthur, dressed in his new suit, was thrown into Lockwood Spa Bath where he safely floated. Although this test appears to have been successful there is no record of any further manufacture of the material. As an indication of the quality of the cloth produced at Taylor Hill it is recorded that supplies were made for the personal use of three monarchs, Queen Victoria, King Edward VII and King George V. The original company closed down in 1938 but of course the mill still towers over the hillside at Taylor Hill.