Together with six other townships, it formed the Graveship of Holme.
Pigot and Co.'s Royal National and Commercial Directory of August 1841:
Austonley is also a township in the parish of Aldmonbury. A new church was completed here in March, 1840 ; it'is dedicated to St. David, and was erected partly by voluntary contributions, and partly by the Diocesan Church Building Society : the living is in the gift of the vicar of Aldmonbury. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan methodists. Population, according to the late census, 1,940.
A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) edited by Samuel Lewis:
AUSTONLEY, a township, in the ecclesiastical district of Holme-Bridge, parish of Almondbury, union of Huddersfield, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 7 miles (S. S. W.) from Huddersfield; containing 1940 inhabitants, mostly engaged in the manufacture of woollen cloth, for which there are numerous mills. The township comprises about 1760 acres, and consists of a deep valley, and large tracts of mountain and moor.
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1872) edited by John Marius Wilson:
AUSTONLEY, a township in Almondbury parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Colne, 2 miles SW of Holmfirth r. station, and 6½ SSW of Huddersfield. Acres, 1,760. Real property, £5,698. Pop., 1,901. Houses, 363. Many of the inhabitants are employed in manufactories.
The extent of the Civil Parish of Austonley in the late 1880s is shown below, along with its main area of detached land: