Built as assembly rooms for the nearby Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, the foundation stones were laid on 10 June 1899. The funding was provided by Eli Mallinson J.P.
LOWER CLOUGH (Linthwaite). Assembly Hall. Circa 1880. Former school. Hammer dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Pitched slate roof with gable copings. Single storey. Seven bays long with low gabled wing to each end bay of centre bay, each with tall, round arched window with glazing bars, and four similar windows between the wings. The two-bay gabled front is flanked by the two end wings each with 2-light round arched window with circle in head. A broad flight of stone steps leads to two segmental headed, six-panelled, double doors with fanlight. Above these are two, tall, 2-light round arched, coloured glass windows each with quatrefoil in head. Above these is pediment-gable with inscription 'Assembly Hall' and quatrefoil in apex, and franked by ball and stalk finials. The two-bay ashlar front is flanked by pilaster-like clasping buttresses with pediment caps.