Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
The buildings on the right of Ashes Lane are aptly named for the land in front of them is Ashes Common. The name is likely to be old and, presumably, it referred to a prominent group of ash trees that once grew here. It is to Ashes Common that Ashes Lane has been leading. The lane is an old one and from its prominent depiction on the 1634 map was important even then. Soon after Ashes Common Farm has been left behind the name of the road changes to Kaye Lane and in that name it continues to Almondbury. Our route, however, turns left shortly after the farm.