This page is part of an ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, or who served in the military.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- BAILEY, ARTHUR WILLIAM. Private. No 67294. 6th Battalion Machine Gun Corps, (Formerly No 29406 Duke of Wellington's Regiment). Born Thornhill Lees near Dewsbury, 7.6.1882. Son of William and Harriet Bailey, 300 Lee Hall Road, Thornhill Lees, near Dewsbury. Educated at Walker's Endowed School, Thornhill. Worked as a gardener. Married to Florence Bailey, 19 Croft House Lane, Marsh. Enlisted September 1916. Taken prisoner by the Germans on the 21.3.1918 and died of diphtheria, 19.6.1918, aged 36. Buried in VIS-en-ARTOIS BRITISH CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 9, Row C, Grave 14.
- ROH:- Gledholt Wesleyan Church.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private ARTHUR WILLIAM BAILEY
- regiment: Machine Gun Corps
- died: Wednesday, June 19, 1918
- age: 36 years
- record ID: 249927