Arthur Whiteley (c.1890-1918)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- WHITELEY, ARTHUR. Lance Corporal. No 45131. The Rifle Brigade, posted to 1st Battalion London Rifle Brigade. Born Linthwaite. Son of the late John Whiteley and Mrs Whiteley, Colne Terrace, Manchester Road, Linthwaite. Employed as a cotton twiner by the Slaithwaite Spinning Company Limited. Was a member of the Slaithwaite Conservative Club. Enlisted January 1917. Invalided home at the beginning of 1918 suffering from septic poisoning but returned to France on Good Friday, 1918. Killed in action, 26.8.1918, aged 28 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated VIS-en-ARTOIS MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- Brother of Private HERBERT WHITELEY killed in action, 16.9.1916.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Lance Corporal ARTHUR WHITELEY
- regiment: Rifle Brigade
- died: Monday, August 26, 1918
- record ID: 1750200
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #1750200)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #4729810)