Arthur Smith was an architect.
He was born in Pontefract, the son of innkeeper Joseph Smith and his wife Mary Rebecca, and was baptised on 24 April 1844 at the church of St. Giles & St. Mary at Pontefract.
He married Harriet Ann Johnson, daughter of Joseph Wrigley Johnson, on 6 August 1867 in Huddersfield. The couple had five known children:
- Florence Mary Smith (1868-?)
- Gertrude Annie Smith (1869-?)
- Arthur Bateman Smith (1873-1942)
- Harriet Gwendoline Smith (1874-1941)
- John Percival Smith (1877-?)
Arthur Smith died on 11 November 1888, aged 44.
Selection of Local Works
The following is based on research by Chris Marsden of Huddersfield Civic Society:
- conversion of premises to form Lindley branch of Huddersfield Industrial Society (1876)
- properties for the Colne Valley Gas Co. Ltd. (1876)
- Marsh branch of Huddersfield Industrial Society (1876)
- 11 dwelling houses and outbuildings at Primrose Hill for Huddersfield Industrial Society (1877)
- conversion of Gymnasium Hall, Ramsden Street, Huddersfield, into Ramsden Street Baths (1879)
- Trinity Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Waspnest Road, Fartown (1879-81)
Notes and References
- ↑ Born 17 May 1868.
- ↑ Born 19 November 1869.
- ↑ Married Annie Wilson on 14 January 1897. Worked as a rents & rates collector. Died 30 April 1942.
- ↑ Born 1 June 1874. Married James Walker Raine on 18 September 1904. Died 7 July 1941 in Surrey.