Arthur Matthews (1889-1918)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Arthur Matthews was born in Shepley, the son of George and Harriet Matthews of Croft Nook.
Married Annie on 14 May 1910 at Holy Trinity, South Crosland.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- MATTHEWS, ARTHUR. Private. No 205589. 1/6th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Huddersfield. Lived Quarry Lane, Netherton. Married. Killed in action near Cambrai, 11.10.1918, aged 29 years. Buried WELLINGTON CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 1, Row F, Grave 2.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private MATTHEWS
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Friday, October 11, 1918
- record ID: 308155
- If Somebody Remembers Me! Men from the Village of Shepley who Served in the Great War (2014) by Geoff Peel
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #308155)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #2970480)