Arthur Matthews (1889-1918)
Born in Shepley, the son of George and Harriet Matthews of Croft Nook.
Married Annie on 14 May 1910 at Holy Trinity, South Crosland.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- MATTHEWS, ARTHUR. Private. No 205589. 1/6th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Huddersfield. Lived Quarry Lane, Netherton. Married. Killed in action near Cambrai, 11.10.1918, aged 29 years. Buried WELLINGTON CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 1, Row F, Grave 2.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private MATTHEWS
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Friday, October 11, 1918
- record ID: 308155
- If Somebody Remembers Me! Men from the Village of Shepley who Served in the Great War (2014) by Geoff Peel
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #308155)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #2970480)