Arthur Clifford Tong (1891-1916)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- TONG, ARTHUR CLIFFORD. Sergeant. No 240345. 1/5th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Elland 21.1.1891. Son of John William and Sarah Elizabeth Tong, 43 Birch Road, Berry Brow, Huddersfield. Educated Berry Brow Board School. Was a fine athlete and played both cricket and football. Was a member of the Armitage Bridge Conservative Club and attended Armitage Bridge Church. Employed as an electrical engineer by Messrs Broadbents Limited, Central Ironworks, Huddersfield. Single. Was a member of the local Territorials before the war. Rejoined the colours in August, 1914. Reported missing, presumed killed, on 3.9.1916 during the attack on the Schwaben Redoubt, aged 25. Has no known grave. Commemorated THIEPVAL MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Serjeant ARTHUR CLIFFORD TONG
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Sunday, September 3, 1916
- age: 25 years
- record ID: 816685
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #816685)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #4471433)