Reportedly designed by Leeds-based architect R.D. Chantrell and built in 1828 for John Brooke, owner of the nearby mill complex. Chantrell also designed the church of St. Paul for the Brooke family, which was consecrated in 1848.
As the Historic England Listing notes, the property had fallen into a dilapidated state by the 1970s but was restored in 1980s and converted into a number of apartments.
ARMITAGE ROAD. Armitage Bridge. Armitage Bridge House. Early or mid C19. Ashlar. Hipped slate roof. Two storeys. Moulded eaves cornice. Blocking course. First floor sill band. Five ranges of sashes with glazing bars, central one breaking forward slightly. One storey porch projection: two fluted Ionic columns, full entablature and blocking course. One-storey wing to west, with moulded cornice and blocking course. Lower two storey wing to east: three ranges of sashes. Extension further east: one-storey, with 3-bay arcaded basement, serving as cartshed to stable yard; moulded eaves cornice; blocking course; one sash and one tripartite sash. Two conservatories with wooden glazing bars, one at either end of rear elevation. Although plain, this elevation looks particularly fine at a distance, looking down the Holme Valley. Interior: although dilapidated, this is a fine specimen of early C19 interior decoration, with good neo-classical plaster cornices and wooden door surrounds. The two best rooms are in the south-east and south-west corners of the ground floor. Both have shallow segmental vaults, the south-east one quadripartite, with ribs and an anthemion centrepiece. This room also has a shallow recess on each side, framed by two pilasters with anthemion-ornamented capitals, and roundels on the entablature. Marble chimneypiece with two free-standing fluted Greek Doric columns. Hall has 2-bay arcade with fluted Tuscan columns and moulded voussoirs. Late C19 staircase with elaborate wooden balusters. Room in the west wing has a coved plaster ceiling.