Armitage Arms, Bay Hall Common Road, Birkby

This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location marked on an old map. More detailed information may eventually be added...


  • location: Bay Hall Common Road, Birkby
  • status: still exists but now in different use
  • category: public house, beerhouse, inn, etc.

The Armitage Arms was originally a beerhouse and was in existence by 1869 when landlord Paul Bray was named as a witness into the death of Birchencliffe weaver Robert Ibberson.[1] Bray was recorded as a "water man" in the 1861 Census (he was the son of boatman John Bray) and as a "coal agent & beer seller" in the 1871 Census.[2]

By 1876, the licensee was John W. Schofield who unsuccessfully applied for a games licence at the annual Brewster Sessions.


    Loading... ::::::kia k024190:::kia k024191:::kia k024192:::geograph 4619325:::



Notes and References

  1. "Fatality to a Drunken Man at Birkby" in Huddersfield Chronicle (11/Sep/1869).
  2. Bray is named in a 1868 article as solely a "coal agent" of Birkby, which suggests he either subsequently opened the beerhouse or took over an existing beerhouse and renamed it. "Birkby: Charge of Assault" in Huddersfield Chronicle (25/Jul/1868).