Ann Shackleton Baxter (1840-1922) née Green
Ann Shackleton Green was one of the eleven 1852 Flood Orphans.
Perhaps because of the fact Tamar was unmarried, Ann was instead raised by Tamar's parents, woollen mill overlooker John Green and his wife Hannah (née Lee). In 1851, they were living at Roydhouse, Linthwaite.
When her parents were killed in the Holmfirth Flood of 1852, she was officially declared a flood orphan and awarded financial support of 5 shillings per week until she reached the age of 16. It was reported in the press that Ann's "grandparents having adopted her as their own, are unwilling to part with her" so they would have been awarded the payment. At that time, John Green was described as being an "engineer at Shaw's mill, near Golcar".
At the time of the 1861 Census, she was living with her grandparents at Springfield Terrace, Linthwaite, and working as a dressmaker.
She married married clogger Alfred Baxter of Linthwaite in May 1862 at the Queen Street Chapel in Huddersfield. The couple had six known children:
- Grace Hirst Baxter (1863-1924)
- Arthur Baxter (1867-1879)
- Sarah Hannah Baxter (1869-?)
- Ernest Baxter (1873-1919)
- Oswin Baxter (1876-1963)
- Lawrence Baxter (1878-1930)
Alfred Baxter died on 13 July 1896.
At the time of the 1921 Census, she was an 80-year-old "invalid" residing at 717 Springfield Terrace, Hoyle Ing, Linthwaite, the home of her widowed daughter Grace Hirst Shaw (née Baxter), along with two of Grace's children.
Ann Shackleton Baxter died on 5 November 1922.
Notes and References
- Possibly born on 7 August 1840.
- "The Holmfirth Flood" in Huddersfield Chronicle (22/May/1852).
- This was likely a row of properties on Manchester Road, somewhere in the vicinity of Smith Riding.
- Born 21 June 1863 and baptised 19 July 1863 at Christ Church, Linthwaite. Married Eli Shaw on 23 November 1889. Died aged 60.
- Born 21 February 1867. Died 14 October 1879.
- Married George Henry Crowther on 22 October 1890 at St. John, Golcar. Husband died in 1911.
- Married Florence Cecilia Schofield on 10 November 1900 at Christ Church, Linthwaite. Died 5 August 1919 at 2 Holyoaks Terrace, Slaithwaite. Florence was born 17 April 1871 and died 13 March 1956.
- Married Lucy Oldfield in 1905. Died 7 January 1963.
- Born 15 September 1878. Married Agnes Haigh on 20 October 1903. Died 23 March 1930.