The Almondbury Mechanics' Institute was formed in September 1843. By April 1844, the institute had "upwards of seventy members" and lessons in reading, writing, grammar and arithmetic were being taught.
The following advert was place in the local press at the start of 1846:
WANTED, at the Almondbury Mechanics' Institution, an intelligent, active, and strictly moral Man and his Wife, to TEACH A DAY SCHOOL and superintend the Classes three nights a week. Salary £60 per Annum, with Dwelling and Coals free.