An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- BATTYE, ALBERT EDWARD. Private. No 2291. 10th (Prince of Wales' Own Royal) Hussars. Born Dalton 7.2.1889. Son of Tom and Emma Battye, 42 Springwood Street, Milnsbridge. Educated at St. Paul's Church School and Spring Grove Council School. Single. Enlisted 10.3.1908 and at the outbreak of war was stationed in South Africa with his regiment. Recalled to England, they left for France on 6.10.1914. Reported missing, presumed killed, 13.5.1915, near Ypres. Has no known grave. Commemorated on the MENIN GATE MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- Brother of Private HARRISON BATTYE, who died at home, 10.12.1920.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private ALBERT EDWARD BATTYE
- regiment: 10th (Prince of Wales's Own Royal) Hussars
- died: Thursday, May 13, 1915
- record ID: 927026