Ænon Particular Baptist Chapel, Milnsbridge
- also known as: Milnsbridge Aenon Baptist Church
- appears on maps: 1890 [#2]
- location on map: Chapel Lane, Milnsbridge
- status: no longer exists
- category: church or chapel
Built 1843/4 for Baptists who had previously worshiped at Salendine Nook a decade earlier. The church closed circa 1961 when the congregation began using the Sunday School. They moved again in 2002 to the village hall in Armitage Road as the former Sunday School had begun to fall into disrepair.
The current Milnsbridge Baptist Church on Bridge Croft opened in June 2004.
The Baptist Magazine (1843):
A baptist church was formed at this place on the 24th of May. Brother Hirst of Blackley introduced the service by prayer. Brother Holmes of Pole Moor gave a description of the nature of a gospel church, and the duties and privileges of its members. One of twenty members who were dismissed from the church at Salendine Nook then gave an account of the efforts which had been made to form an interest at Millsbridge, and brother Holmes gave them the right hand of fellowship; after which brother Walton of Lockwood preached, and the Lord's Supper was administered to nearly 100 persons, chiefly members of the churches at Salendine Nook, Lockwood, and Meltham: brother Thomas of Meltham presided at the Lord's table.
The Baptist Magazine (1844):
This place of worship was opened on the 25th and 28th of April, when sermons were preached by Messrs. Dowson of Bradford, Glendening (independent) of Huddersfield, Walter of Lockwood, Holmes of Pole Moor, Lomas of Salendine Nook, and Dr. Beaumont (Wesleyan) of Liverpool. The collections amounted to £100, and the friends had previously subscribed £800. The entire cost of the chapel, school-room, vestry, and other conveniences, is the very moderate sum of £1400, leaving a debt of £500. The building, which is an exceedingly neat one, is 54 feet by 48 inside; the school-room underneath, 48 feet by 30; and the vestry 48 feet by 15. The chapel will seat from 700 to 800 persons, besides containing a gallery for upwards of 250 Sunday school children. The attendance is very pleasing; great numbers come who previously neglected the word of God.
The Baptists of Yorkshire (1912) by Rev. C.E. Shipley:
The Milnsbridge Church had its first home in an upper room, and building its first sanctuary on the banks of a river, called it "AEnon." Its Church roll commences on May 28th, 1843, when it received the signatures of twenty members who, residing in the locality, were transferred from Salendine Nook. Although the neighbourhood was but thinly populated, they at once proceeded to build, opening their chapel on April 25th, 1844. The Rev. John Hanson became pastor in 1846, and for ten years led the Church's progress. He was followed by Rev. Edward Parker, who was ordained here on August 19th, 1857, and remained two years. He was afterwards more widely known as Dr. Parker, President of Manchester Baptist College. Rev. J.T. Jones served the Church from 1861 to 1864. Brief pastorates appear to have been the general experience of the Church:— John Chadwick (1866-70); H. Dunn (1871-4); Robert Speed (1877-81); and H.C. Field (1883-8). During Mr. Field's ministry the new schools were built at a cost of £3700, and were for some years used for day school and Sunday school purposes, until the erection of new Board School premises rendered the day school unnecessary. Rev. A. J. Davies settled at Milnsbridge in 1892. He laboured for eight years with much success, and, at its jubilee, the Church raised £1000 for chapel alterations. Rev. E.R. Lewis followed Mr. Davies in the New Year of 1901, and is the present pastor. Additional classrooms were added to the school, and, assisted by the generous gift of a site, the Church proceeded to build a manse. Mr. G.H. Hanson, and his sister, Mrs. T. Lockwood, who presented the site, added to it a gift of 450. The Church property is valued at £12,000, and its history has been one of steady progress and increasing service.
Historic England Listing
The original chapel was delisted after demolition, but the historic entry is given below:
- first listed 29 September 1978
- listing entry number 1220649
BRIDGE CROFT (East Side) Milnsbridge. Baptist Chapel. 1843. Hammer-dressed stone. Pitched slate roof. Coped gable flanked by scrolled consoles (cf Armitage Bridge Mill). 3 ranges of round-arched sashes with glazing bars (some altered). Central window has moulded surround and moulded cornice. Door flanked by Tuscan half-columns taking moulded cornice and blocking course. Panel in gable end inscribed "Aenon Chapel 1843".
- Huddersfield & District Family History Society — memorial inscriptions
Notes and References
- West Yorkshire Archive Service: Off the Record.
- "Our new church is here!" in Huddersfield Daily Examiner (08/Jun/2004).