Adam Alfred Hirst (c.1886-1917)
Courtesy of David Simmons:
- Private, 2nd Battalion, East Lancashire Regiment. Regimental Number 22458. .Formerly No. 2051, Yorkshire Light Infantry. Born in Sharlston, Wakefield. Killed in action 31 July 1917 in Flanders aged 31 years. Son of Enos and Martha Hirst, Emley Moor. Employed as a Coal Miner at a local mine. Enlisted in Harrogate. Commemorated on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Belgium.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- HIRST, ADAM ALFRED. Private. No 22458. 2nd Battalion East Lancashire Regiment. Formerly No 2051 King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry. Born Sharlston, Yorkshire. Son of Enos and Martha Hirst of 'Ladcar', Emley Moor, Huddersfield. Lived Shelley, Huddersfield. Reported missing, presumed killed, 31.7.1917, aged 31 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated MENIN GATE MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- Emley War Memorial; commemorated in Emley Churchyard.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private ADAM ALFRED HIRST
- regiment: East Lancashire Regiment
- died: Tuesday, July 31, 1917
- record ID: 1614282
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #1614282)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #1895678)
Notes and References
- Twitter: @ProjectDCS.