Abraham Lee Tyas (1857-1930)
He was born on 21 April 1857 in Kirkheaton, the son of weaver, farmer and manufacturer Amos Tyas and his wife Elizabeth (née Lee), and was baptised at St. John the Baptist, Kirkheaton on 31 May 1831.
His father's fancy woollen manufacturing business went into liquidation in 1874. The same year, he was recorded as working as a railway clerk for the London & North Western Railway on a salary of £25 per annum, possibly at the nearby Kirkheaton Station.
During the late 1870s and early 1880s, he was regularly listed as a cricket player for the Beaumont's Kirkheaton team.
By the early 1880s, he was studying at the Huddersfield Mechanics' Institution's Technical School, where he initially received a first-class elementary in the exam in cloth manufacture with the City and Guilds of London Institution and was awarded £2 and a bronze medal. By 1885, he had achieved a first-class honours grade.
In 1886 the Kirkheaton Mutual Improvement Society held an event in November 1886 which featured a "splendid collection of valuable Indian curiosities", including "two splendid Indian shawls" provided by Abraham Tyas.
He married Mary Louisa Kenworthy of Lockwood, daughter of James Kenworthy and his wife Emma (née Whiteley), on 7 April 1887 at the Lockwood Baptist Chapel. According to the 1911 Census, the couple had six children (two of whom had died by 1911), but only four have been identified:
- Roland Tyas (1892-1892)
- Geoffrey Kenworthy Tyas (1895-1959)
- John Martin Tyas (1897-1959)
- James Ronald Tyas (1899-1995)
In March 1890, he passed a St. John's Ambulance Association examination held by Dr. J. W. Martin of Sheffield.
In 1891 he filed for a loom patent (#13137), described as "improvements connected with the pattern chain and bowl mechanism of jacquard looms".
Between 1892 and 1899, a number of poems and articles by a correspondent known only as "Cid" appeared in the Huddersfield Chronicle, the first of which was a poem entitled "Rockfield" — the name of a mansion near Beaumont Park which was adjacent to Tyas's house on the 1891 Census. The writer lived in Lockwood, often wrote of growing up in Kirkheaton and claimed to have been baptised at St. John the Baptist, all of which circumstantially matches Tyas.
In October 1896, a plot of land that he had placed up for auction was withdrawn from sale:
LOT 64. All those THREE CLOSES OF LAND and GARDEN GROUND, with frontages to Woodside Road and Dry Clough Road, containing a total area of 6a. 1r. 0p., in the respective occupations of Messrs. Bentley and Shaw (Limited) and Mr. A. L. Tyas. — Withdrawn.
By 1901, he was working as an "oil merchant" and living in Tadcaster, but had returned to live at Crosland Moor by 1911.
His two oldest sons were enrolled at schools in Croydon, Surrey, in 1904, which might imply the Tyas family briefly lived in the area.
He died in 1930, aged 73. His widow, Mary Louisa, died a few years later in 1936, aged 71, in Keighley.
|1861||31 Shop Lane, Kirkheaton||n/a||living at home with parents and younger sister Ada|
|1871||Stafford Hill, Kirkheaton||scholar||living at home with parents and siblings|
|1881||Stafford Hill, Kirkheaton||railway clerk||living at home with parents and siblings|
|1891||Tyas House, Woodfield Road, Lockwood||cashier at woollen mill||living with wife near Beaumont Park|
|1901||Barwick-in-Elmet, Tadcaster||oil merchant||living with wife and 3 children|
|1911||30 Everard Street, Crosland Moor, Lockwood||clerk at worsted weavers||living with wife and 3 children|
Notes and References
- Son of fancy weaver John Tyas (c.1793-1870) and his wife Sarah (née Stead).
- "Local News: Failure" in Huddersfield Chronicle (28/Feb/1874).
- Ancestry: UK, Railway Employment Records, 1833-1956. The register implies he began work on 19 March 1874.
- "Huddersfield Mechanics' Institution Technical School" in Huddersfield Daily Chronicle (29/Jul/1881).
- "Huddersfield Technical College" in Huddersfield Chronicle (01/Aug/1885).
- "Kirkheaton Mutual Improvement Society" in Huddersfield Daily Chronicle (23/Nov/1886).
- Mary Louisa Kenworthy was born 1865 in Lockwood. The 1871 Census lists her family living at Prospect Place on Hanson Lane, Lockwood.
- James Kenworthy was born around 1828 in Saddleworth. He worked as a machine maker (1871 Census), commercial traveller (1881 Census) and railway wagon builder (1891 Census). He was very likely the same James Kenworthy who was the chairman of the Lockwood Mechanics' Institute in the 1860s. He also served as a member of the Huddersfield Board of Guardians in the 1890s.
- Died on 6 March 1892, aged 5 days old. Buried 7 March at Christ Church, Linthwaite.
- Born 18 June 1895. Studied at Beulah Road Boys School, Croyden, Surrey, circa 1904. Worked as a textile designer. Lived at 12 Westminster Drive and later 18 Arthurs Avenue, Harrogate. Died on 3 August 1959 at Leeds General Infirmary. Probate granted to Phillip Lee Tyas (company director), John Stephen Tyas (fruiterer) and Patrick Reginald Tyas (sales representative).
- Studied at Ecclesbourne Road Infants School, Croydon, Surrey, circa 1904. Married Lily Crosby in 1919 at Winchester, Hampshire. Died 21 November 1959 in Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire. Probate was granted to his widow, Lily.
- Fought during the First World War in the Duke of Wellington's (West Riding). Married Doris Crick. Lived at Grovelands Road, Purley, Surrey, and was convicted in 1852 of stealing £6844 from his employer (B.O.A.C.) and sentenced to 7 years. Died in West Sussex.
- "St. John's Ambulance Association" in Huddersfield Chronicle (08/Mar/1890).
- "Inventions: Applications for Patents" in Leeds Mercury (14/Aug/1891) and "Applications for Patents" in Yorkshire Gazette (15/Aug/1891).
- "Important Property Sale at Huddersfield" in Huddersfield Chronicle (31/Oct/1896).
- [Gazette] (21/Feb/1899).