The 7th Battalion of the Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding) was a battalion in the Territorial Army.
The 7th Battalion traced its history back to the Huddersfield Rifles, which was raised in 1859 as a unit of Britain's Volunteer Force. The Rifles became the senior unit of the 5th Administrative Battalion of West Yorkshire RVCs in September 1862.
In February 1883 the unit became the 2nd Volunteer Battalion of the Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment and were headquartered at the Armoury on Ramsden Street. The battalion gained their first battle honours during in the 2nd Boer War (1899-1902).
From 1901, the battalion was based at the Drill Hall on St. Paul's Street, Huddersfield.
Under the Haldane Reforms of 1908, the battalion was reformed into two new Territorial Force units — the 5th Battalion based at Huddersfield and the 7th Battalion based at Milnsbridge. Both new units formed part of the 2nd West Riding Brigade, alongside the 4th and 6th volunteer battalions of the Duke of Wellington's regiment.
Prior to the First World War, the 7th Battalion comprised several companies:
Following the outbreak of war, the battalion was mobilised and deployed to eastern coastal defences before moving to billets in Doncaster for the winter. During the spring of 1915, they trained in South Yorkshire and Lincolnshire.
Re-designated the 1/7th Battalion, they sailed to France in April 1915 and formed part of the 147th (2nd West Riding) Brigade in the 49th (West Riding) Division, seeing action on the Somme, at Ypres, during the German Spring Offensive (1918) and the final Allied 100 Days Offensive.
The 2/7th Battalion was a second line unit formed from new recruits in August 1914 and became part of the 186th (2/2nd West Riding) Brigade in 62nd (2nd West Riding) Division. The battalion was eventually deployed to the Western Front in January 1917 and fought at Arras, Cambrai, in the Spring Offensive and the Hundred Days.
For details of individuals who served in the 7th Battalion, see: