The 4th Battalion of the Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding) was a battalion in the Territorial Army.
The battalion was originally formed from the 6th West Yorkshire Militia and was headquartered at Prescott Street, Halifax. Prior to the First World War, the battalion comprised several companies:
Following the outbreak of war, the battalion was mobilised and deployed to eastern coastal defences before moving to billets in Doncaster for the winter. During the spring of 1915, they trained in South Yorkshire and Lincolnshire.
Re-designated the 1/4th Battalion, they sailed to France in April 1915 and formed part of the 147th (2nd West Riding) Brigade in the 49th (West Riding) Division, seeing action on the Somme, at Ypres, during the German Spring Offensive (1918) and the final Allied 100 Days Offensive.
The 2/4th Battalion was a second line unit formed from new recruits in August 1914 and became part of the 186th (2/2nd West Riding) Brigade in 62nd (2nd West Riding) Division. The battalion was eventually deployed to the Western Front in January 1917 and fought at Arras, Cambrai, in the Spring Offensive and the Hundred Days.
The 3/4th Battalion was a third line unit which trained recruits prior to their deployment overseas.
In 1938, the 4th Battalion became the 58th Anti-Tank Regiment of the Royal Artillery.
For details of individuals who served in the 4th Battalion, see: