33-37 Oak Road, Bradley

GEOGRAPHIC STUB
This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location marked on an old map. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Details

  • location: Oak Road, Bradley
  • status: still exists
  • category: property

According to some sources, the property was once a coaching inn known as the Golden Cock or Cock Inn. If so, it is presumably the licensed premises kept by Francis Spence and listed as "Cock, Huddersfield" in the 1803 Licence register.[1] The curve of what is now Oak Road and Bradley Road appears to have been the original alignment of the Birstall and Huddersfield Turnpike Road but this was subsequently replaced with a straight section of new road. This likely led to a severe decline in custom at the inn and the lack of an entry in White's Directory of 1837 would suggest the premises had closed by then — possibly following the death in 1819 of the Francis Spence born circa 1774.

By 1841, it seems the property had become a grocer's shop run by Francis Spence.[2] In 1851, Francis was named as a "farmer of 15 acres" in the census. He died in 1866 and was buried at Christ Church, Woodhouse Hill.

By 1900, the property was a post office run by James Spence.[3] By 1921, it was again a grocery run by Frank Spence (born c.1882).

Historic England Listing

  • Grade II
  • first listed 29 September 1978
  • listing entry number 1229568

OAK ROAD Bradley Nos 33 to 37 (odd). 1751. Hammer dressed stone. Pitched stone slate roof. 2 storeys. 4 ranges of 4-light stone mullioned casements. Ornamental plaque over door, consisting of 2 fluted pilasters taking moulded arch with keystone, and moulded cornice, inscribed B 1 S 1751.

Gallery

    Loading... ::::::kia k002436:::kia km04037:::kia ke10634:::

Location

Notes and References

  1. Harry Amphlett kindly assisted in identifying this entry in the register.
  2. Born 1796 and likely the son of the aforementioned Francis.
  3. Huddersfield and District Postal Directory (1900).