The County Borough of Huddersfield.
Area. — 11,875 acres.
Population. — 1931 Census, 113,475 ; estimated by the Registrar-General at middle of 1935, 115,000, for calculating death, mortality and birth rates.
Density of Population. — 9.7 persons per acre.
Number of Inhabited Houses (end of 1935) according to Rate Books. — 36,248.
Number of Families or Separate Occupiers (Census 1931). — 32,109.
Rateable Value. — £847,394. Before Derating, £972,011.
Sum represented by 1d. Rate. — £3,275.
General Rate (1936-37). — 10s. in the £.
Debt. — £6,220,082.
Electors. — Parliamentary, 84,039 ; Municipal, 64,373.
Parliamentary Representation.—One member.
Local Government. — Borough Council of 15 aldermen and 45 councillors ; 15 wards. Meets first Wednesday in each month.
Incorporation. — July 7th, 1868.
Quarter Sessions. — Date of Grant, September 4th, 1919.
Early Closing Day. — Wednesday.
Market Days. — Tuesdays ; Weekly Market on Mondays.
Death rate (1935). — 13.93 per 1,000.
Birth rate (1935). — 12.19 per 1,000.
Infant mortality rate (1935). — 45 per 1,000.
The chief local industries given in chronological order in accordance with the number of persons employed. — (1) Woollen industries ; (2) Commercial occupations ; (3) Metal trade s; (4) Transport occupations ; (5) Clerical occupations ; (6) Building trades (including quarrying) ; (7) Engineering trades ; (8) Agricultural occupations ; (9) Chemical trades.
Ramsden Estate. — Purchased September 30th, 1920 ; Price, £1,350,000 ; 4,300 acres.
The Council makes an allowance to the Mayor of £500 per annum, and has adopted a Superannuation Scheme for its officers.
Licensing Hours.—Weekdays, 11-30 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 5-30 p.m. to 10 p.m. Sundays, 12 noon to 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Huddersfield Daily Examiner (Three Editions), 1d.
- Huddersfield Examiner (Weekly), Saturday, 2d.
- Huddersfield Boro’ Advertiser (Weekly) gratis.
- Huddersfield Citizen (Monthly).
Police Boxes equipped with First Aid requisites and in direct telephonic communication with the Central Police Station are erected at strategic points throughout the borough, and are available for use by the public.
Telephone Nos. — Infirmary, 2866 ; Fire Brigade, 480 ; Police 1938.
Contents of the 1937 Directory
- Foreword by the Mayor of Huddersfield (Coun. J. Barlow, J.P.)
- Arms of the Borough of Huddersfield
- Huddersfield 1836-1936 by Stanley Chadwick
- Huddersfield's Musical Honours by Ernest Cooper, F.R.C.O., L.R.A.M.
- The County Borough of Huddersfield (Statistical Information)
- Huddersfield Books and Authors by Philip H. Lee
- The Tolson Memorial Museum by Coun. T. W. Woodhead, Ph.D., M.Sc., F.L.S., Hon. Directory
- A Valuable Asset by Harold T. Taylor, F.S.I., Hudd. Corporation Estate Manager
- Past Mayors
- Past Town Clerks
- Huddersfield's Sporting Achievements by Alfred M. Lee
- Huddersfield Parliamentary Elections
- Supplying the Town with Electricity by J. W. Turner, M.I.E.E., Borough Electrical Engineer
- Honorary Freemen of the Borough
- The Heart of the Cloth Trade
- Who's Who
- A Tour Round Huddersfield
- Huddersfield Country Borough Council — Corporation Committees and Officers of the Corporation
- Court of Quarter Sessions
- Borough Magistrates
- Country Magistrates for the Huddersfield District, including Magistrates Sitting at Holmfirth
- Huddersfield County Court and District Registry of the High Court of Justice
- Huddersfield Licensing Committee
- Huddersfield Cemeteries
- Ecclesiastical Directory
- Education Directory
- Huddersfield Corporation Fire Brigade
- Government Departments
- Hospitals and Public Health Services Directory
- Huddersfield Insurance Committee
- Markets and Fairs Department
- Masonic Lodges
- Military Information
- Huddersfield Corporation Model Lodging House
- Parks and Recreation Grounds
- Huddersfield Borough Police
- Public Baths
- Public Halls, &c.
- Amusement Halls
- Public Libraries
- Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes
- Huddersfield Railway Station
- Huddersfield Corporation Rate Office
- Weights and Measurements Department
- Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths
- Victoria Memorial Tower, Castle Hill
- Huddersfield and District War Pensions Committee
- Huddersfield Corporation Waterworks Department
- Brass Bands
- Sports and Pastimes
- Societies and Associations
- Trade Unions
- Road Passenger Transport Facilities
- Huddersfield Postal Arrangements
- Streets Section
- Private Residents — arranged alphabetically
- Professional and Trades Section — classified
- Progress with Security — Huddersfield Building Society
- Plan of Routes — Huddersfield Corporation Transport Department