1937 Directory:Arms of the Borough of Huddersfield
1937 Huddersfield DirectoryThis page was part of a project to digitise the 1937 Huddersfield County Borough Directory. The entire directory can now be read and searched online.
Arms of the Borough of Huddersfield.
Or, on a chevron between three rams passant Sable as many towers Argent, Crest, a ram’s head couped Argent, armed Or, gorged with a collar Sable holding in the mouth a sprig of the cotton tree, slipped and fructed Proper.
Motto, “Juvat impigros deus” (Arms as granted, October, 1868, by the Authorities of the Heralds’ College to be borne and used for ever hereafter on Seals, Shields, Banners, or otherwise according to the Laws of Arms).
The Rams are an allusion to the Ramsden Family, former ground Landlords.
The Towers are the usual symbols of strength and security.
The Crest of the Ram’s Head holding the Cotton Plant, symbolical of one of the principal industries flourishing in the town.
Motto, “God helps those who help themselves.”
Contents of the 1937 Directory
- Foreword by the Mayor of Huddersfield (Coun. J. Barlow, J.P.)
- Arms of the Borough of Huddersfield
- Huddersfield 1836-1936 by Stanley Chadwick
- Huddersfield's Musical Honours by Ernest Cooper, F.R.C.O., L.R.A.M.
- The County Borough of Huddersfield (Statistical Information)
- Huddersfield Books and Authors by Philip H. Lee
- The Tolson Memorial Museum by Coun. T. W. Woodhead, Ph.D., M.Sc., F.L.S., Hon. Directory
- A Valuable Asset by Harold T. Taylor, F.S.I., Hudd. Corporation Estate Manager
- Past Mayors
- Past Town Clerks
- Huddersfield's Sporting Achievements by Alfred M. Lee
- Huddersfield Parliamentary Elections
- Supplying the Town with Electricity by J. W. Turner, M.I.E.E., Borough Electrical Engineer
- Honorary Freemen of the Borough
- The Heart of the Cloth Trade
- Who's Who
- A Tour Round Huddersfield
- Huddersfield County Borough Council — Corporation Committees and Officers of the Corporation
- Court of Quarter Sessions
- Borough Magistrates
- County Magistrates for the Huddersfield District, including Magistrates Sitting at Holmfirth
- Huddersfield County Court and District Registry of the High Court of Justice
- Huddersfield Licensing Committee
- Huddersfield Cemeteries
- Ecclesiastical Directory
- Education Directory
- Huddersfield Corporation Fire Brigade
- Government Departments
- Hospitals and Public Health Services Directory
- Huddersfield Insurance Committee
- Markets and Fairs Department
- Masonic Lodges
- Military Information
- Huddersfield Corporation Model Lodging House
- Parks and Recreation Grounds
- Huddersfield Borough Police
- Public Baths
- Public Halls, &c.
- Amusement Halls
- Public Libraries
- Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes
- Huddersfield Railway Station
- Huddersfield Corporation Rate Office
- Weights and Measurements Department
- Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths
- Victoria Memorial Tower, Castle Hill
- Huddersfield and District War Pensions Committee
- Huddersfield Corporation Waterworks Department
- Brass Bands
- Sports and Pastimes
- Societies and Associations
- Trade Unions
- Road Passenger Transport Facilities
- Huddersfield Postal Arrangements
- Streets Section
- Private Residents — arranged alphabetically
- Professional and Trades Section — classified
- Progress with Security — Huddersfield Building Society
- Plan of Routes — Huddersfield Corporation Transport Department