Imperial Arcade, Huddersfield
The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.
Was built around 1878 by J A Hopkinson and is situated on the corner of Market Street and New Street. The architect was Ben Stocks.
The entrance to the Arcade from Market Street is gained through a coaching arch and is named after the Imperial Hotel which stood on New Street opposite the entrance to the Arcade.
It was formerly known as the Queen's Yard at the top end and Hanson's Yard at the bottom end.
Huddersfield Local History library has photographs of New Street and Market Street. They also have maps of the town centre and directories of Huddersfield which give the names and business of occupants of Imperial Arcade.
West Yorkshire Archive Service: Kirklees holds building plans for Imperial Arcade under reference numbers Central 592 & 593. Also a billhead showing a shop in the Arcade under reference number KC745.