Hinchliffe Mill Wesleyan Methodist Church
The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.
A Sunday School was established in either 1784 or 1794, using premises at Waterside. The Sunday School at Longwalls was built in 1812 and a new Sunday School was built at Dob Lane at Dam Head in 1827. The chapel was built in Woodhead Road in 1839. The Sunday School made use of the buildings at Longwalls, Dam Head and Woodhead Road until 1878. The Sunday School at Dam Head was enlarged in 1850 and a new Sunday School was built next to the chapel in 1877 - 1878. The chapel was enlarged in 1844 with the old school building at Dam Head being sold in 1894 and converted into a cottage and Hinchliffe Mill Silver Band Room. The congregation ceased to use the chapel building in 1971 and shared St David's Church [C of E] at Holmbridge from 1971. The chapel and Sunday School at Woodhead Road was converted into flats c1971. The chapel closed in 2003.