Hightown St John's Wesleyan Methodist Church, Liversedge
The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.
Preaching services were held at Hightown Heights c mid-1700s.
A chapel was built on the north side of Halifax Road near Upper Blacup between 1773-1774; John Wesley preached at the opening service in 1774. This chapel was known as the 'Theyked' (thatched) chapel.
Between 1827-1828 a new chapel was built on the south side of Halifax road a little below Hare Park Lane and the old chapel was used as a Sunday School between 1828-1852 when the old chapel was sold and made into houses. The Sunday School then used the chapel vestry from 1852-1860 when the former Congregational Sunday School in Hare Park Lane was bought for use as a Sunday School.
The Sunday School in Hare Park Lane was demolished c1888 and a new Sunday School was built on the north side of Halifax Road at the corner with Hightown Road using stone from the old school in 1888.
In 1969 the Sunday School was demolished.
The congregation ceased to use the chapel in 1983 because it was unsafe and the chapel was demolished in 1985.
The congregation share the use of St Barnabus Church (Church of England) at Hightown 1983-1984.
The church closed c1984 and the congregation joined Gomersal Methodist Church.
Records relating to this church can be found at the West Yorkshire Archive Service: Kirklees under the reference number KC273/38.