High Street Methodist New Connexion Church
The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.
Established by a number of members who seceded from Old Bank Wesleyan Methodist Church in 1797. The first New Connexion meetings in Huddersfield were held in David Taylor's house in West Parade. The constitution of the new Connexion was drawn up at this house by the Rev's Kilham and Thorn. The Old Bank chapel was used from 1797 to c1814. The Wesleyan Methodists regained control of Old Bank Chapel, c1814 and the new Connexion had to leave. They used a warehouse at the corner of Buxton Road and Princess Street for worship in that period. A chapel at High Street was built in 1814 and opened in 1815. The Sunday School was established in 1814 and built behind the chapel in 1816, it was subsequently rebuilt in 1824, 1840 and 1860. The chapel was demolished in 1864 and rebuilt on the same site in 1865 - 1867. It closed in 1944 and the congregation joined Brunswick Street Methodist Church. The chapel was demolished between 1956 - 1957.