Healey Congregational Church
The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.
In 1866 cottage prayer meetings and a Sunday School were established from Heckmondwike Upper Independent Church.
A Mission chapel and Sunday School were built in Healey Street in 1867 though it remained dependent on Heckmondwike Upper Church until 1911 when it became a separate congregation.
Around 1928 a separate Sunday School was built next door to the church.
In 1982 the church was threatened with closure due to a dwindling congregation but managed to survive until it finally closed in 1999.
NB This chapel is marked incorrectly on some Ordnance Survey maps as an 'Independent Methodist' chapel.
Records relating to this church can be found at WYAS: Kirklees under the reference numbers KC989 and KC1068.