Hardingley Wesleyan Methodist Church

From Off the Record
Jump to: navigation, search
This is a backup of the West Yorkshire Archive Service's "Off the Record" wiki from 2015. The live went offline in 2016 and remains unavailable.

The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.

Established c.1770.

Meetings were held in a barn or farmhouse c.1785.

House of Joseph Morton at Ozzings licensed for Methodist worship 1796.

Wesleyans were meeting in a cottage at Shelley Woodhouse c.1813.

Society established at Ozzings by 1856.

Moved to Copley House by 1864.

Moved to Hardingley 1883; used an upper room at Hardingley Farm for services.

Sunday School established by late 1880s.

Chapel built in Long Moor Lane 1904.

Closed 1994.

Records relating to this church can be found at WYAS:Kirklees under the reference numbers KC710 KC845 WYK1128.