Gomersal Junior Mixed and Infants, Spenborough

From Off the Record
Jump to: navigation, search
This is a backup of the West Yorkshire Archive Service's "Off the Record" wiki from 2015. The live went offline in 2016 and remains unavailable.

The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.

This school began as the Mechanics Institute with infants and upper departments. The new school was built in 1912 to replace the Mechanics Institute. The increase in numbers meant in 1930 that some classes had to move back to the Mechanics Institute until 1965. As new buildings were added to the school, the classes held at the Mechanics Institute were moved back to the school. The Mechanics Institute became Gomersal Public Hall. The earliest log books for the school are dated February 1871 as Gomersal British Day School and British School Mechanics Institute.