Golcar Baptist Church
The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.
Records relating to this church can be found at WYAS: Kirklees under reference number KC1033.
In 1833 a meeting about building a Baptist chapel in Golcar was held. The chapel was built in Chapel Lane in 1835 and a congregation was established from Salendine Nook.
Baptists took part in the undenominational Sunday School held in the Town School in Knowl Bank; it was under their sole control from c1842.
Between 1866-1869 a new chapel was built next door but one to the old chapel and the old chapel was used as the Sunday School- this was extended between 1882 -1883. Between 1896-1897 a new Sunday School was built on the site of the old building.
The Sunday School was subsequently converted for use as a chapel 1967-1970 and re-opened in 1970. The old chapel was demolished in 1976-1977.
The chapel is still in existence in 2009.