Football

From Off the Record
Jump to: navigation, search
This is a backup of the West Yorkshire Archive Service's "Off the Record" wiki from 2015. The live went offline in 2016 and remains unavailable.

The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.

Leeds United and its Predessors

Leeds was slow to take up Association Football due to the popularity of Rugby.

Prior to 1904 there were three sports clubs in the Northern Union which were based in Leeds; Hunslet Cricket, Football and Athletic Club; Leeds Cricket, Football and Athletic Club; Holbeck Cricket, Football and Athletic Club.

The Hunslet club formed Hunslet Association Football Club.

1904 - Hunslet A.F.C changed its name to Leeds City A.F.C.

1905 - Leeds City A.F.C incorporated in April 1905 when it joined with the Holbeck club on the Elland Road site already used by the Holbeck team. Incorporation records at The National Archives (Reference BT 31/17428/84163).

Leeds City A.F.C nicknames - The Peacocks (possibly named after the Peacock Inn located opposite the Elland Road site), The Citizens and City.

Leeds City A.F.C was dissolved during the 1919-1920 football season due to financial irregularities; amidst controversy that they paid players during the period of the World War I at which time this was prohibited.

Leeds United A.F.C was founded in 1919, taking over from Leeds City A.F.C in the Elland Road site. Peacocks is also a nickname sometimes associated with Leeds United A.F.C.


Further details on the history of football in Leeds and the West Riding; 'Shall it be Bradford or Leeds? The Origins of Professional Football in the West Riding Textile district' by A.J Arnold, Thoresby Society publication Volume LXIII, no.134 Miscellany volume 19, 1988.