Farnley Tyas Wesleyan Methodist Church
The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.
Preaching services were held in cottages from 1780; one of the cottages used was that of John Schofield who became a class leader and local preacher. Later Joseph Shaw's house was licensed for preaching. Requests for land to build a chapel met with persistent refusals from the Dartmouth Estate for many years and the Society continued to meet in members houses. Eventually a chapel was built in Woodsome Road 1884-1885; it closed in 1970 and the building was made into a house.
Records relating to this church can be found at the West Yorkshire Archive Service: Kirklees office under the reference numbers:WYK629/21