Electrical Association for Women, Huddersfield Branch

From Off the Record
Jump to: navigation, search
This is a backup of the West Yorkshire Archive Service's "Off the Record" wiki from 2015. The live went offline in 2016 and remains unavailable.

The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.


The Electrical Association for Women was set up by the electricity supply industry in 1924 to promote the use of electricity. It was an independent voluntary organisation which taught women how to use electricity safely and efficiently. It also provided a means of expression of the woman's point of view on the design and performance of electrical equipment. Various publications were produced and a monthly magazine.

The Huddersfield Branch was set up in 1934. It had both afternoon and evening meetings at the Fraternity Hall in Alfred Street and the Toc H Rooms in the Estate Buildings. The evening meetings started in 1975 to cater for those who could not attend daytime meetings because of work or other commitments. The branch disbanded in 1986 and the Electrical Association for Women came to an end nationally in 1987.

This collection is available to view at WYAS Kirklees, collection reference KC552. Other records relating to this collection can be found at KC293.