Ebenezer Wesleyan Methodist Church, Honley

From Off the Record
Jump to: navigation, search
This is a backup of the West Yorkshire Archive Service's "Off the Record" wiki from 2015. The live went offline in 2016 and remains unavailable.

The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.

Later called High Street Methodist Church.

Established in c1770, using a large outhouse belonging to Benjamin Littlewood for meetings, whilst John Wesley preached in Honley Church, 1788. A Sunday School was established in 1790, using Upper Steps Mill and was jointly run by Wesleyan Methodists, Church of England and Independents. A chapel was built at Green Cliff in 1806. Wesleyan Methodist scholars at the Sunday School moved from Upper Steps to the chapel in 1814 and a new chapel was built between High Street and Cuckoo Lane in 1827, the room below chapel used as a Sunday School. The old chapel at Green Cliff was turned into cottages. A Sunday School was built near to the chapel in 1878 - 1879 and was called the Brooke Memorial School and was dedicated to Edward Brooke of Northgate House, one of the main lay preachers in Honley, he had also preached at the opening of the chapel in 1827. The chapel was renovated in 1893 and ceased to be used as a chapel between 1968 - 1969, the congregation joined with Southgate Methodist Church and Moorbottom Congregational Church to form a United Church using premises at Moorbottom. The chapel in High Street was demolished in 1970. The service was still in existence in 2000 as a United Methodist and United Reformed church called Honley Trinity Church.