Commonside Wesleyan Methodist Church
The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.
John Nelson preached at John Hirst's house in Hanging Heaton in 1772 and the society existed by 1784 when John Wesley preached there. Chidswell was a preaching centre in the Dewsbury Circuit in 1804. The congregation used premises at low Bottoms held jointly with Baptists, Independents and Methodist New Connexion from 1813. It is not clear how long this society continued in existence but the chapel built in Bromley Street at Commonside in 1887, seems to have had no connection with the earlier society. It closed in 1966 and the building was later used as a warehouse.