Cleckheaton Wesleyan Reform Church
The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.
Later known as the Central United Methodist Free Church.
Wesleyan Reformers seceded from Wesleyans c1849 but they acquired the chapel in Dewsbury Road at Marsh and the Weslyans had to leave. A Sunday School was built in Brooke Street in 1866 and a new chapel at Greensdide was built 1875 - 1879 and opened in 1879, it was known as the Central chapel. This chapel was claimed to be the largest United Methodist Free Church building in Britain and was known as the Cathedral of Free methodism and could seat up to 1344 people. A new Sunday School was built next door to the chapel in 1895 - 1897, the old Sunday School in Brooke Street was then used as a Mechanics Institute and Technical School from c1898, it later became Temperance Hall and was used as such until 1980, it is now used as a commercial premises. The congregation used the new Sunday School for worship from c1959 and the chapel was demolished in 1961 and a Post Office built on the site which was still in existence in 2000.