Cleckheaton British School

From Off the Record
Jump to: navigation, search
This is a backup of the West Yorkshire Archive Service's "Off the Record" wiki from 2015. The live went offline in 2016 and remains unavailable.

The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.


In 1835 Alexander Dixon granted to Joseph Gomersal and others a plot of land in Cleckheaton 'and the school and dwellinghouse and conveniences thereto adjoining'. A condition of the deed was that the school and dwellinghouse had to be finished and filled out with fixtures. The school was to be run at the lines laid down by the British & Foreign School Society. In 1904 the school was transferred to the West Riding County Council Education Department.

These records can be found at WYAS Kirklees, collection reference KC565.