Carlinghow County Primary School, Batley
The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.
Built as Carlinghow Board School, between Emerald Street and Diamond Street in 1880, it became Carlinghow Junior and Infants School in the 20th century. The school moved to the site of Princess Royal School in 1985. A plan to use the Board School building for a Muslim School in 1984 - 1985 came to nothing.
The Infants School operated from 1880 - 1935, Girls Board School from 1880 - 1943 and Boys Board School from 1880 - 1937.
The earliest log book for the school is dated December 1880, extracts and photocopies from the log book can be found at WYAS Wakefield, collection reference: WRD5.
Inspectors reports, 1882 - 1904 for the school are held at WYAS Kirklees.