C W Mattock Limited of Sowerby Bridge, confectioners

From Off the Record
Jump to: navigation, search
This is a backup of the West Yorkshire Archive Service's "Off the Record" wiki from 2015. The live went offline in 2016 and remains unavailable.

The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.

C W Mattock Limited, confectioners of Sowerby Bridge

The firm was set up in 1888 and some of its customers included the National Trust and royal houses. It had property in Industrial Rd and West St, Sowerby Bridge. It was taken over in 1964 by an Ipswich Company, Burton Son and Sanders, which later merged with the Matthew Holdings group of Epsom. In 1977 it was bought by the then Managing Director, George Speak and a partner. They sold it to Jon's Confectioners of Sowerby Bridge, which was later taken over by Wilkinson's of Jersey. In 1990 receivers were brought in but they were unable to find a buyer. At the auction of its equipment in January 1991 there were 100 bidders including a New York firm.