Burntwood Isolation Hospital
Burntwood Isolation Hospital (ref: C498)was esatblished in 1921 and closed in 1976.
The main hospital treated scarlet fever and diptheria cases. Tuberculosis patients were treated in the sanitorium. In 1948 it also occassionlly had geriatric patients (ref: C498/5/5)and had a capacity of 67 beds. In 1974 the capacity was reduced to 51 beds and the hospital closed in 1976.
The administration of the hospital originally came under Hemsworth UDC and in 1935 was extended to cover Wombwell UDC. In 1948 under the terms of the National Health Act it came under the control of Pontefract and Castleford Hospital Management Committee. In 1974 it came under the Wakefield Area Health Authority.
The collection includes circulars and correspondence relating to World War II. These relate to ARP arrangements, gas attacks, air raid shelters, patients who are evacuees and procedure in the event of invasion.
This collection includes staff registers from 1953-1960, 1962-1966, 1968 admission registers from 1935 - 1974.